The Rotary Club of Greater Greer was organized on April 6, 1953 and was originally named the “Rotary Club of Greer, Taylors, Lyman.” The club was reorganized on June 26, 1980. The club immediately started planning fund raisers to support a high school scholarship program. For years, their main fund raiser was a golf tournament that suppliers to Springs Industries supported faithfully. Jim Peahuff, one of the club’s most devoted Rotarians, spearheaded the organization of these tournaments in partnership with Gary Barnett, even making golf clubs that he raffled to add to the funds raised.
On September 15, 2003, the club changed its name to the Rotary Club of Greater Greer. The year 2003-2004 became an inaugural year for the club as it focused more on the Greater Greer area. The club doubled in size during that first year. Rotary International turned 100 years old in 2005 and the club celebrated the anniversary by constructing a storage area for young visitors at Greer Literacy Center. The club is now a member of the Greer Chamber of Commerce and gains most of its new members from Chamber members interested in providing more volunteer service to the community. The increasingly international character of Greer makes the city an excellent place to grow Rotarians. Projections presently indicate that Greer will be larger than Greenville within the next twenty years.
The Rotary Club carries a proud tradition of community service. Since its reorganization in the eighties, the club has awarded four year college scholarships to a deserving senior each year on a competitive basis. The club has also provided technical college scholarships to high school seniors over the same period. An annual highlight during this same period has been a Scholastic Achievement Program held for the four area high schools recognizing the top ten academic students in each grade at each institution. Other recent projects include building of a Habitat house, support of the Greer Relief and Resource Center as well as Community Ministries.